OR Excellence Awards
The OR Excellence Awards highlight the outstanding efforts of surgical leaders across the U.S. whose facilities excel at performing safe, environmentally friendly and cost-effective surgeries that send patients home healthy and happy.
OR Excellence Awards are given to facilities in the following seven categories:
- Patient Safety
- Pain Control
- Patient Satisfaction
- Financial Management
- Employee Safety
- Infection Prevention
- Environmental Stewardship
The award winners will be honored at an awards ceremony at the Virtual OR Excellence Conference and featured in the September issue of Outpatient Surgery Magazine.
How to Nominate
- Nominations for the OR Excellence Awards are generated through a reader survey sent to all Outpatient Surgery Magazine readers.
- Readers are invited to nominate either their own facility or any standout outpatient facility they see as deserving of such an honor.
- Simply respond to the survey email and tell our editors, in as much detail as possible, why your facility should be awarded an OR Excellence Award in one or more of the seven categories.
- Each nomination is reviewed by our editorial staff, and winners are selected following a rigorous analysis of the nominations received. For more information about this awards program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Are the Past Winners?
Read about OR Excellence Award winners from previous years at their respective links below.
Here are the 2019 OR Excellence Award Winners by Category
Spotlight on the OR Excellence Infection Prevention Award
In 2019, the OR Excellence Award for Infection Prevention was awarded to the Saint Francis Health System in Tulsa, OK.
This award was sponsored by BD and was presented by BD to the winner. Sponsorships for each of the seven OR Excellence Award categories are available for 2020 here.
The Saint Francis Health System's staff highlighted an important aspect of OR management and process. Here's their story:
“Over the past year, we’ve decreased our total joint and colorectal infection rates, and we're constantly working to improve our processes in order to prevent SSIs.”
Tamra Luna, MSN, RN, CNOR
Infection Prevention: Stepping Up to Prevent SSIs
Staff at Saint Francis Health System has worked hard to significantly lower infection risks - and they're not done yet.
Last fall, Saint Francis Health System in Tulsa, Okla., made a big push to improve point-of-use instrument cleaning by
posting a new regimen for staff to follow in every OR. “We're keeping our instruments soaking and wiped down
during cases,” says Tamra Luna, MSN, RN, CNOR, the OR manager of surgery services at Saint Francis. “As soon
as the case is done and the patient's out of the room, we make sure we get all the “chunks and hunks”
off the instruments.”
Doing away with the “chunks and hunks” — along with the significant strides the staff has made over the past year toward eliminating SSIs — has earned Saint Francis the OR Excellence Award for Infection Prevention.
READ MORE ...